Plan for non-tile-based walking
It would be nice to (optionally) support non-tile-based walking
- Clean up wallmap checking code
- Check additional collisions, for example, hitting the end of a wall that is perpendicular to you when you are not tile aligned
- Clean up NPC collision code
- Implement an optional non-aligned mode.
- In non-aligned mode it should be possible to move in steps of any pixel-size.
- Explore the possibility of a half-aligned mode similar to the half-tile steps in the original NES zelda.
- Some RPGs implement "sliding" when you collide with a wall close to a corner. Should we attempt to implement this?
- In non-aligned mode, NPC activation behavior might have to change
There may be other complications I haven't thought of yet here.
A nice side-effect of this plan is that it will make it easier for plotscripters to make Side scrolling games without needing to re-implement their own hit-detection.