Game:Fnrrf Ygm Schnish: Alleghany Hell School/secrets
A page detailing some of the hidden details of Fnrrf Ygm Schnish: Alleghany Hell School.
Don't read any further if you'd prefer to figure everything out on your own, though the first section (detailing the effects of the "Shiznit" stat) is probably good information to have and I wouldn't really qualify it as spoiling any of the game's secrets so much as explaining some battle mechanics that might not be obvious right away.
What is Shiznit?
Most of the stats characters have are the usual stuff found in most RPGs -- HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, and so on. One that's a bit more unique to FYS:AHS, though, is "Shiznit." This stat basically represents a combination of factors including luck, inherent skill, and mastery of one's own abilities through training. Its main effect is increasing the chance that various extra effects might happen when you use attacks, which helps to keep low-level attacks from becoming too useless later in the game and eventually improves stronger techniques, too.
Effect on critical hits
Shiznit increases the chance of a physical attack landing a critical hit -- the higher a character's Shiznit, the more likely. Different weapons have different critical rates, and the Shiznit required to reach their maximum critical rate also varies from one weapon to another. The Shiznit level required to reach maximum critical rates for most weapons is higher than you'll realistically be able to reach through leveling and equipment alone, but at high levels it may be possible to temporarily reach those heights by using a "Foshizzlapeño" to boost the user's Shiznit during battle.
- Adam's Golf Club reaches a maximum critical rate of 50% at 7 Shiznit. Despite how low this sounds, it's not really worth trying to increase Adam's Shiznit stat, since it starts out so low and never rises naturally.
- Joguo's knives reach a maximum critical rate of 60% at 105 Shiznit.
- The Duct Tape Stick, Sledgehammer, and Nummite Staff reach a maximum critical rate of 50% at 135 Shiznit.
- Knuckles reach a maximum critical rate of 50% at 150 Shiznit.
- Most of Eddie's sticks reach a maximum critical rate of 50% at 150 Shiznit.
- Most of Damuru-J's staves reach a maximum critical rate of 50% at 150 Shiznit.
- The Puppywhacker reaches a maximum critical rate of 100% at 150 Shiznit.
- Bridget's claws reach a maximum critical rate of 100% at 180 Shiznit.
Some weapons also do additional damage on a critical hit if the user's Shiznit reaches a certain level, usually dealing three times the damage of a normal attack (compared to a "regular" critical hit which deals twice as much damage.)
- Critical hits with hammers and the Puppywhacker do extra damage when the user's Shiznit is 14 or higher.
- Critical hits with knives, claws, and knuckles do extra damage when the user's Shiznit is 19 or higher.
If a character's Shiznit is less than 1, they will never land a critical hit. This applies not only to the heroes but to enemies too; Bridget's "Stare" spell will reduce an enemy's Shiznit, and in many cases enemies have very few points in this stat to begin with so even a single use of the spell can effectively prevent opponents from ever getting a critical hit.
Effect on extra hits
Most weapons also have a chance to land a second hit depending on the user's Shiznit. Much like the critical rates, the chance of a second hit increases more and more the higher your Shiznit stat gets.
- Knuckles and Bridget's claws have a 50% chance of a second hit at 33 Shiznit.
- Joguo's knives have a 50% chance of a second hit at 42 Shiznit.
- Joguo's swords have a 33% chance of a second hit at 44 Shiznit.
- Damuru-J's staves have a 50% chance of a second hit at 59 Shiznit.
Sticks and hammers, being more "slow and heavy" style weapons, will never get a second hit as a result of the Shiznit stat no matter how high it gets, though using a "Garbanzo" item in battle will temporarily grant them a chance of extra hits.
Secondary attack effects
On top of its influence on critical rate and the chance of landing a second hit with most weapons, Shiznit is also part of the calculation of whether or not certain attacks have some secondary effect like poisoning or stunning the enemy. These are usually a flat percentage chance rather than scaling to the user's Shiznit.
- Sticks and hammers have a chance of stunning enemies with a Shiznit of 9 or higher.
- Knuckles have a chance of stunning enemies with a Shiznit of 24 or higher.
And of course, not all of the benefits of a high Shiznit stat apply to your basic physical attacks! Some special techniques also gain extra effects or land multiple hits when their user's Shiznit reaches a high enough level.
- Eddie's Blubber Slam cannot stun enemies if his Shiznit stat is less than 1. With a Shiznit of 19 or higher, it is sometimes replaced with "Blubber Quake," which hits all enemies rather than just a single target.
- Joguo's Steal is sometimes replaced by "Robbery" (which damages and steals) with a Shiznit of 13 or higher.
- Joguo's Shuriken has a chance of a second hit with a Shiznit of 11 or higher. With a Shiznit of 14 or higher, he's guaranteed to throw a second shuriken. With a Shiznit of 19 or higher, he has a chance of throwing a third shuriken. Finally, at a Shiznit value of 23, he's guaranteed to throw a third shuriken.
- Joguo's Spreadshot comes with an extra shuriken thrown at a single target with a Shiznit of 17 or higher. With a Shiznit of 27 or higher, there's a chance of a second extra shuriken. Finally, at a Shiznit value of 31, he's guaranteed to throw two extra shuriken at random enemies after a Spreadshot.
- Joguo's Jump Kick has a chance of landing a critical hit, increasing with his Shiznit. It maxes out at a Shiznit value of 189, at which point he's guaranteed to land a critical Jump Kick every time.
- Bridget's Swarmclaw is sometimes replaced by "Swarm Shred" (which hits three times) with a Shiznit of 19 or higher. The chance of this happening doubles with a Shiznit of 24 or higher.
- Damuru-J's Guard increases her defenses even more if her Shiznit is 15 or higher. Wit ha Shiznit stat of 24 or higher, it's replaced with "Full Guard," which increases her defensive stats to their absolute maximum for its duration.
- First-level elemental spells (Flame, Zap, and Fridge) have a small chance of an additional effect with a Shiznit of 9 or higher -- Flame reduces defense, Zap stuns, and Fridge reduces Speed. With a Shiznit of 19 or higher, this is replaced with a chance that scales to the user's Shiznit, with the additional effect being guaranteed with a Shiznit of 50.
- Second-level elemental spells (Firewave, Plasma, and Snowstorm) have a small chance of the same additional effects with a Shiznit of 24 or higher.
- Third-level elemental spells (Roast, Thunder, and Refridge) have a small chance of the same additional effects with a Shiznit of 39 or higher.
This applies to some enemy-only techniques as well, of course.
- The stun chance of Pekauh Shock scales with the user's Shiznit, with stun being guaranteed with a Shiznit stat of 10.
- The stun chance of Bounce scales with the user's Shiznit, with stun being guaranteed with a Shiznit stat of 4.
- If Mr. Higgins' Shiznit is less than 1, he'll be unable to use Rapid Fire and be stuck with the single-target "Cap Bustah" instead.
- The Plague Squirrel's Bubonic Nut is guaranteed to poison its target if the user's Shiznit is 4 or higher.
- If a Rass's Shiznit is less than 1, it will be unable to launch a Sneak Attack immediately upon coming out of hiding.
- Spin Attack has a chance of stunning its target if the user's Shiznit is 9 or higher.
- Psycho Blast and Bash cannot stun their targets if the user's Shiznit is less than 1.
- The defense reduction chance of Power Drill scales with the user's Shiznit, being guaranteed with a Shiznit stat of 40.